The open-source HandBrake video transcoder 1.3.0 was released with many great new features. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.04, and Ubuntu 19.10.
HandBrake 1.3.0 was released with updated third-party libraries, new and updated translations, build system improvements, and following new features:
- Redesigned queue UI
- New presets for PS4 Pro and Discord
- Ultra HD Blu-ray discs support (without copy protection)
- AV1, WebM container encoding support
- AMD VCE encoding support on Linux
- Intel QSV low power encoding support (lowpower=1)
- Added Intel QSV support to Flatpak
There are also other changes, miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements, see the release note.
How to Install HandBrake 1.3.0 in Ubuntu 19.10
The HandBrake official PPA has made the new release packages for Ubuntu 19.04 and Ubuntu 19.10.
1.) Open terminal either from system applications menu or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) for
sudo command prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2.) Then install handbrake via command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install handbrake-gtk
3. (Optional) To remove the PPA repository, open Software & Updates utility and navigate to Other Software tab.
To remove the media converter, run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --auto-remove handbrake-gtk
How to Install HandBrake 1.3.0 in Ubuntu 18.04:
Due to outdated system libraries, the official software PPA does not contain the latest packages for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. However, the latest HandBrake Flatpak (runs in sandbox) package is available for Ubuntu 18.04 and higher.
1. Open terminal and run command to install flatpak framework is not exist:
sudo apt install flatpak
2. Add Flathub, the official flatpak package repository via command:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
3. Finally install HandBrake 1.3.0 via flatpak package:
flatpak install flathub fr.handbrake.ghb
4.(Optional) For any reason, you can remove the package via command:
flatpak uninstall flathub fr.handbrake.ghb