Kaidan, free and open-source Jabber / XMPP client, released version 0.7.0 with enhancements and bug-fixes.
Kaidan is a user-friendly and modern chat app uses the open communication protocol XMPP (Jabber). Unlike other chat apps, you are not dependent on one specific service provider.
The new version 0.7.0 was released today adds more information in contact profile including nickname, software version, and operation system.
The favorite emojis now is showing by default, and you can search emoji by typeing :<name>.
Other changes in Kaidan 0.7.0 include:
- drag’n’drop support for sending files
- Paste images from clipboard (Ctrl+Shift+V) into the chat
- Insert newline with Shift + Enter
- Custom hostname and port.
- Improved design of media preview sheets
- Restructure message sending bar
- And bug-fixes.
How to Install Kaidan in Ubuntu:
The software offers non-install Appimage available to download at its website.
It also available as Flatpak package, which runs in sandbox. Open
terminal from system app launcher and run following commands one by one to install it:
1. Run command to install flatpak daemon if you don’t have it:
sudo apt install flatpak
2. Add the flathub repository which hosts the software package:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
3. Finally install Kaidan package via command:
flatpak install flathub im.kaidan.kaidan
Once installed, open it either from app launcher or by running command
flatpak run im.kaidan.kaidan
To remove the flatpak package, simply run command in terminal:
flatpak uninstall im.kaidan.kaidan