Oracle Virtualbox 6.1.6 was released a few days ago. Linux kernel 5.6 now is supported for Linux hosts and guests.
Virtualbox 6.1.6 is the third maintenance release for the 6.1 main series. Changes in the release include:
- Multiple UI enhancements including visual elements updates
- Fixed monitor resizing and multi-monitor handling bugs on X11 guests with VMSVGA graphics adapter
- Enhancements in 2D and 3D acceleration and rendering
- Multiple enhancements improving USB performance and stability
- Serial port: Improve error handling and fix hang when host port disappears
- Multiple fixes for VBoxManage guest control operations
- Fix for exception handling bug in Python bindings
- Multiple fixes for shared clipboard including possible crash and HTML data support
How to Install Virtualbox 6.16 in Ubuntu:
For 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.04, Ubuntu 19.10, and their derivatives, you can either download the official .deb binary from the link below:
Download Virtualbox for Linux
or install VBox from its official apt repository by running following steps:
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), paste below command and run to add the repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list'
For Linux Mint, you HAVE to replace
$(lsb_release -sc) in the command with
bionic for Mint 19.x, or
xenial for Mint 18.x.
2. Then download and install the repository key via command:
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
3. Refresh system package cache via command:
sudo apt update
4. Finally install Virtualbox 6.1:
sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1
To remove it, simply run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove virtualbox-6.1
And go to Software & Updates -> Other Software to remove apt repositories.